1. Say something good that happened to you today:
I had some strawberry ice cream with graham cracker crumbs. Mmm... (yeah, today wasn't very exciting)
2. What is your general philosophy of life?
Do whatever makes you happy, and be nice to people.
3. What is the worst thing you have lived through?
Well, 7th grade was probably the worst year of my life... I haven't been through enough ordeals yet. Not that I want to, mind you.
4. How old is your inner child?
It depends. I like to say she's 6, but it seems like recently she's around 12.
5. Do you believe in a higher power, and if so, what name do you give it?
Yeah, but it's not really the traditional omniscient, omnipotent God, it's just sort of like a force. Not The Force, just... some sort of energy that makes things work. I don't really call it anything, but I like to anthropomorphize it (as many people do), and I like to think there's a Goddess watching over me that's there to listen.
6. Are you allergic to anything, and if so, what?
Apparently dustmite poo, and I'm probably allergic to scallops too. Also, I seem to be allergic to work and organization...
7. Write a haiku on the spot (5-7-5):
This is Ade's haiku.
Ade rarely writes poetry.
She writes more fiction.
(wow, that wasn't even remotely poetic)
8. Favorite animal?
9. Favorite LJ community?
petitepower is pretty cool. Short people rock!
10. Coffee, tea, or soda - how do you get your caffeine fix?
Lately I've really been guzzling down iced tea. We make it by the pitcher every other day or so. But I think my mom gets the caffeine-free tea bags, so I don't know...
11. Idealist or realist?
I'm a writer, therefore I'm an idealist because reality sucks.
12. Are you lucky or unlucky?
I consider myself lucky to have everything I have, and occasionally luck strikes me. I won $25 in an "unluckiest card" bingo round about 10 years ago though...
13. How much do you normally tip?
Usually over 15%. I've been known to overtip, usually because I hate doing math, and servers do a lot of work for sucky pay, so every penny counts. Unless the service is sucky, then so is the tip.
14. Last time you got sick?
I had a cold sometime during the spring semester, but I actually don't get sick very often, only 2-3 times a year, and it's usually just a moderate cold.
15. Favorite word or phrase to use when cussing someone out?
I tend to avoid seriously cussing people out, but when I'm doing it jokingly, I usually just go with something like, "(adjective) (adjective) bitch/bastard."
16. Best movie made before 1970?
Arsenic and Old Lace
17. After 1970?
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
18. Within the past five years?
Lilo and Stitch
19. What is your quest?
20. Favorite TV drama?
Eh, I'm not into those
21. Favorite sitcom?
22. Favorite reality show?
I don't really watch those, the people are usually really stupid and shallow and not at all interesting until they fight.
23. Favorite game show?
I forget what it's called, but it's that Nickelodeon family game show with the big slimy obstacle course at the end... is that show still running?
24. Favorite talk show?
Maury! WHOMYBABYDADDY?!?!?!?!?! My freshman roommate and I used to watch Maury all the time and make fun of the stupid drama and stuff. But there were also the really cool episodes, like the "guess my gender" "and "opposites attract" ones.
25. A quote that sticks in your head:
"Ade, I'm writing a story about you. How do you spell 'corpse?'"
26. Favorite toy as a child?
I loved My Little Pony, and I still buy them occasionally (Shut up, Derek! Ben still buys Transformers, so I can buy My Little Ponies!)
27. Last thing you made with your own hands?
Uh... ramen 5 minutes ago? Or are we talking crafty things? Well, I made a little sculpey Cyclor a couple days ago, but he needs to be baked. In the oven. And a couple days ago my sister saw it and picked it up and I really spazzed out because I thought she'd squish him.
28. Last fight you got into?
Probably just arguing with my sis in the last few days, I avoid tension as much as possible, but with her it's inevitable.
29. Favorite thing with sugar in it?
30. Favorite kind of flower?
daisies and dandelions
31. Are you now, or have you ever been, a communist?
No, I'm a demonocrat, and I'm voting for Cyclor.
32. Favorite word?
Kyrgyzstan (I don't get to use it very often though)
33. Last thing you picked up off the ground?
Probably a dirty t-shirt to help open a bottle. Man, I need to toss stuff down the laundry chute...
34. Favorite book as a child?
Any Curious George book... I read a lot when I was younger. I remember getting in trouble in 3rd grade for reading when I was supposed to be doing math or something.
35. Favorite book as a juvenile?
"The Arkadians," by Lloyd Alexander, "Squashed," by Joan Bauer, the "Clan of the Cave Bear" series by Jean Auel
36. Favorite book as an adult?
Wait, when did I become an adult? ...Oh yeah, 2 months ago. Stupid 21-ness. Um... I like a lot of books, I really can't pick a single favorite. Ok, I'll say "Weetzie Bat," by Francesca Lia Block, because it's just awesome.
37. Last time you flipped someone the bird?
Probably a week or so ago, I bet it was directed at my sister and she was flipping me the bird right back.
38. Do you have any siblings, and if so, how many?
Katie, my polar opposite, who's 14 and "really hot," according to boys.
39. Make _____, not war:
40. Favorite singer?
41. Favorite songwriter?
42. Favorite performer?
43. Surprise parties: yes, or no?
I'm not fond of surprises, and I'm glad nobody has ever given me a surprise party. But I've been part of surprise parites before. They're ok, I guess.
44. Where do you get your news from?
If I see something interesting in the paper while I'm hunting for the comics, I'll read it, plus the msn.com front page.
45. If you had to challenge someone to a duel of some kind, what your weapon of choice be?
A battle of wits! To the death! Or at least to the "ow, my head!"
46. Favorite kind of soup?
chicken and stars (I'm such a kid...)
47. What, if any, parts of your body do you shave, wax, or otherwise remove hair from?
What kind of question is this? Erm... well, "remove hair" is kind of something I absentmindedly do every day, since I have trichotillomania and pull out my hair. Don't ask me why, because I really don't know, and you probably wouldn't understand unless you also pulled out your hair. And I pull from wherever I feel like pulling, mostly my scalp, though I've gotten a lot better about the pulling and don't randomly rip out chunks any more. As for more controlled hair removal, I've been plucking my eyebrows since 6th grade (just so I don't end up eyebrowless again), and in the summer I occasionally shave the pits just so I don't stink too much or get itchy. But I haven't shaved my legs since I was 16, and I'm proud of that.
48. What is happiness to you?
Being with friends, feeling loved, and laughing at silly stuff
49. Least favorite household chore?
Doing the dishes by hand and cleaning the bathroom. Ugh.
50. Favorite thing to do on a cold and rainy night?
Play computer games until I just about collapse (provided it isn't storming)
51. Peter Pan or Captain Hook: who is cooler?
Captain Hook, because he's a pirate, and pirates are so much cooler than ninjas. I mean, little boys in green tights who hang out with fairies. Not that I don't like boys in tights who hang out with fairies, mind you. And I scared myself when I saw this advertisement for the new Peter Pan movie and thought that Peter was really cute and then realized he's my sister's age but figured that if millions of girls my age including me think Daniel Radcliffe is pounceable, surely a little pedophilia won't make me a bad person, and... where was I? Oh yeah, Captain Hook is cooler, even if he is a codfish.
52. Have you ever written/carved/etc. "I was here" on anything?
well, sometimes I'd write my name or something...
53. Favorite mythology?
Greek and Hindu
54. Favorite magazine?
Realms of Fantasy and Cicada
55. Law & Order: original, SVU, or Criminal Intent?
I've only watched that show once or twice, and I don't really like it. It just doesn't interest me.
56. Worst pickup line ever used on you?
Those stupid junior high boys that would always come up to me and say things like, "My friend likes you, will you go out with him?" Meanwhile, the friend is laughing while yelling, "No, no, don't listen to him!" Yeah, yeah, nothing is funnier than pretending to ask the little weird girl out.
57. Best job you ever had?
This one babysitting job for my sister's friend's family a few years ago. The kid was my sister's friend's brother and in 7th grade, but I guess his parents didn't want to leave him alone in case he was downloading porn or something. I sat in their living room and watched TV while he played computer games in another room (I didn't care if that's what he was really doing or not). But after a while he came and talked to me, and we had an interesting chat about Pokemon and Mr. Diffendal (this really dweeby junior high typing teacher we both had). It was cool, I got paid for doing nothing remotely productive.
58. What do you know how to fix?
I can glue broken stuff together so that it looks almost-ok, and I can sew buttons. And duct tape fixes everything!
59. Favorite place to go in the town you live?
The school playgrounds (going at night is fun), that new Chinese buffet
60. Favorite munchie?
almost anything cheese-flavored
61. Movie with the best one-liners?
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (a mental mind-fuck can be nice)
62. How do you groom your nails: clip, file, paint, chew, etc.?
I use my pocketknife and cut them really short, then file them. I keep them short, otherwise they annoy me and I end up accidentally scratching myself a lot.
63. Last pity party you held for yourself?
Just the typical "People shouldn't hurt me, I'm lonely and bored, I miss my friends" type of deal
64. Last post-it note written?
A list of what Chinese take-out to order yesterday
65. If you could go back in time to a specific place and era, when and where would it be?
I'd go back to Jesus's time and ask him all sorts of questions, and I'd also just like to hang out with him. Jesus was one heck of a nice guy. It's just some of his followers who blew things out of proportion and corrupted his church and so forth.
66. How much money do you have in cash right now?
67. What�s the best joke you know how to tell?
68. Last gift that you gave someone?
Last week I gave my neighbors a big grasshopper to feed to their lizards, but it was technically from my dad and not really a gift. Um... I don't remember.
69. Favorite sexual position?
70. Favorite superhero?
SuperAde! Yay for 8th grade comics!
71. What songs do you know all the lyrics to by heart?
Oh, I know tons of songs by heart.
72. What did you buy on your last trip to the store?
On Friday night I went to Walfart and dragged Megan along (since she happened to be with me at the time and this was an impulsive decision to go there). I bought some cup ramen, SoBe, and a pack of new undies. Leen's story inspired me to buy underwear.
73. Worst habit?
I have many... but the worst? I don't know. Maybe the hair-pulling thing, though it's kind of beyond a habit...
74. Last thing you quit?
I really don't know. Maybe blaming myself for something out of my control.
76. Pet peeve?
When people don't shut up, unwanted physical contact, stupid people, computer crashes, etc.
77. What do you grab to drink when you're hot, sweaty, and thirsty?
iced tea or whatever is available
78. Do you wear a watch?
Nope, I don't like the feeling of things on my wrist
79. What were you doing before you started taking this survey?
probably playing Freecell or something
80. What do you wish you were doing instead of taking this survey?
maybe sleeping (yowza, it's late)
81. What�s preventing you from doing that?
finishing this survey and talking to Nick
82. What are your plans for the rest of the day?
going to bed, waking up, saying goodbye to my mom and sis, going food-shopping, picking up my mom's meds and mailing them to her, making dinner, and then going to the second Alpha reading (yay!) to see Tamora Pierce (yay!) and the Alphans (yay!).
83. Are you nervous of the fuzz?
Why do they call it that? What exactly is the "fuzz" anyway? I'm a good girl. They won't get me.
84. Favorite kind of poetry?
I like children's poetry, because it doesn't leave me going, "huh?" And Megan's poems are awesome.
85. Favorite kind of music?
I have very eclectic tastes.
86. How many different kinds of solitaire do you know how to play?
I don't feel like contemplating this and counting. Um... a few?
87. What are you a member of?
All sorts of stuff... (my energy level is wearing down, I don't feel like going in detail)
88. Do you like green eggs and ham?
I don't eat ham, and I've developed an aversion to eggs by themselves (unless they're hardboiled or something)
89. Is the glass half-empty, or half-full?
*gulp* Well, now it's empty. Oh, was I not supposed to drink that? What was in there, anyway? Elderberry wine? Spiked with arsenic? Oh, crap... *dies*
90. Who is the wind beneath your wings?
there are many wind-lets that help me fly...
91. Favorite John Hughes film?
92. Would you follow the white rabbit down the hole?
If I could fit and didn't chicken out
93. What classes have you failed in your lifetime?
Well, I've gotten F's in things like Spanish and Health over time... haven't failed any college classes yet, that's a good sign.
94. Favorite comedian?
I don't know... it doesn't matter as long as they make me laugh
95. Monkeys: funny, yes?
96. Favorite Beatles song?
I Am the Walrus
97. Walk, bike, ride, or drive?
98. Do you take vitamins, and if so, which ones?
no, I really hate swallowing pills and have trouble getting into the habit of taking them anyway
99. Bugs Bunny, or Mickey Mouse?
100. What do you want on your tombstone?
A huge statue of myself! Naw... just my name and birth/death dates and some important-sounding Ade quote, like "Playgrounds are for kids, beaches are for mommies, and work is for daddies."