In other news, I got a new bed. And I won't be sleeping in it very often, since I don't really live here any more. My parents decided to get a trundle bed for my room, and today it came, and they got rid of the bigger yet rather stiff and uncomfortable bed. I hope the new one is comfortable, and I guess it will come in handy if we have guests (there's also a trundle bed in the guest room). My sister might have mono. That's what you get for sharing water bottles with the swim team (or so she says). I'm glad I've been able to avoid so many nasty illnesses by keeping my mouth to myself and being very reluctant to share drinks and food and stuff.
Swiped from the lovely Em:
1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
first credit card
first cell phone
lost something rather important to me that I haven't been able to find again
saw "Monty Python's Life of Brian," which I'd been meaning to do for years
gone to a bar for drinks with friends
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I avoid resolutions, since making them guarantees I won't keep them
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
my cousin April had her third kid, Logan, and my other cousin Laura is pregnant again
4. Did anyone close to you die?
not that I know of
5. What countries did you visit?
I think I stuck to the eastern US this year... maybe I'll go somewhere awesome next year
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
control over certain impulses (damn neurological system being screwed up with apparently a mutated gene or something that I should probably research more...) and the self-discipline to write and finish my novel (though Francesca said "fuck discipline" and I trust her experience)
7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 27 (no comment) and May 15-I-think (graduation)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
comping (12 pages the day it was due!) and graduating on time... I rock.
9. What was your biggest failure?
finding a decent job (but hey, at least I have an awesome on-and-off internship that might come back in full swing during February)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
just a couple minor colds
11. What was the best thing you bought?
maybe the PS2 'cause I'm a geek like that
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
one man I have never met but would like to and shake his hand because I've never seen a certain friend so happy, and Dude
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Whiny, Bitchface, Brat, Doormat (occasionally), Trollop, and the Odd Couple
They're semi-anonymous for a reason, and don't go making assumptions.
Oh, and Severus Snape. *shakes fist* You're not anonymous since you can't bitch, bitch, bitch. Ha!
14. Where did most of your money go?
rent, bills, food, books, yarn, and ponies
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
a new HP book AND movie, both of which I enjoyed, in one year
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
Oddly enough, probably that stupid "Hollaback Girl" song. It has quite a variety of insignificant memories attached to it.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
I. happier or sadder?
about the same
II. thinner or fatter?
probably same, though I lack a working scale to check (the scale I own is a horrible liar and tells me I gain 8 pounds after going to the bathroom, I'm 50 pounds heavier than I really am, etc.)
III. richer or poorer?
richer, but I'll keep the reasoning private (I'm not doing anything questionable or illegal, if that's what you're assuming)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
writing and networking
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
just hanging around the house with family, nothing exciting... though I waited until 1:30 AM to wrap presents and stick them under the tree
21. If you had 2005 to do over again, knowing what you know now, would you live it differently?
Maybe I wouldn't have lived with Nick after graduation... I could have been better off living alone
22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate many people. Have a significantly lower opinion of, yes, but not hate
26. What was the best book you read?
I have to decide? Damn you! Never! I liked HP6 and Stitches and a bunch of others
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I discovered the piano just off the coast of Borneo and made billions of dollars.
28. What did you want and get?
out of school!
29. How many crushes did you develop on strangers in 2005?
I tend to avoid that business
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Rent and Narnia
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
22. I was alone most of the day, probably unpacking since I had just moved 2 days before, figuring out how my new cell phone worked, etc. John and Rose took me to Julian's for dinner though, because they're awesome.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
wearing costumes more often or dying my hair purple again (I will do that again, if I get a job that lets me)
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
same as usual (mostly gray, black, and blue, and very very flumpy) with some wonderful additions from Sam's closet
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
let's just say I wish Moaning Myrtle had a camera
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
just that people always get really worked up over relatively trivial issues and always look at issues as being double-sided, adopt "if you're not with us, you're against us" as a motto, and nobody listens to each other and everything gets out of hand.
37. Who did you miss?
some of my non-Allegheny friends, my Allegheny friends that either graduated or aren't there now, the Alphans, and my cats
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
procrastination is fine as long as you eventually accomplish what you're supposed to do, and if you're really sick of your significant other, end the relationship as soon as possible instead of putting it off or dragging it out... I wish several of my friends would just do this and stop being so miserable, but most seem to think it will have a worse effect on the other person than it actually would and bla bla bla excuses excuses... and then they just end up even more miserable and nobody is happy
Your New Years resolutions should be getting some more balls. Of yarn. Everyone needs more yarn. And now I'm not making sense any more.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"When you gonna make up your mind?
When you gonna love you as much as I do?
When you gonna make up your mind?
Cause things are gonna change so fast..."
- "Winter," by Tori Amos